IN THIS EPISODE:
Today your host Ben Consoli speaks with Cameraman Jerry Ricciotti and Equipment Manager Dan Meyer from the HBO Documentary Series VICE. We talk about the dangerous and extreme places they cover around the globe including Afganistan, Libya, North Korea and more, also what cameras they use and why. Plus Ross Shain from Imagineer Systems comes on the show to talk about the rotoscoping and tracking utility Mocha Pro.
- November Rule Events are coming up. More info at Rule.com
- Ben’s take on directing a new commercial starring NHL superstar Patrice Bergeron
- Great new guests coming up including Shane Hurlbut and Vincent Laforet!
- Jonah Kessel’s article on NewsShooter.com is essential reading
- Great video on the 14 best new features of Adobe Premiere Pro
- Netflix is bringing 4K to your TV in 2014. Find out more
- Ross Shain from Imagineer Systems speaks with me about the power of Mocha Pro
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this week’s full track here: Beach Rabbit by Senbei
Spotlight: HBO’s VICE
Cameraman Jerry Ricciotti and Equipment Manager Dan Meyer travels the globe to film some of the biggest conflicts and most hostile environments for the HBO series Vice. These are some the most extreme documentaries in the world today and I am a huge fan of their work and an admirer of the courage it takes to do their work. Today we speak with both Jerry and Dan about their experiences shooting for VICE, their decision to use Canon’s C300 cameras and some of the memorable and frightening moments their have experienced while shooting the show.
- Why they chose C300
- The most terrifying places to shoot in the world
- How the current state of news delivery motivated Dan to work on VICE
- Why Chicago is one of the most dangerous places on earth
- What can we expect in Season 2
- Shooting strategies for every corner of the world
- Why Arri Amira may be the perfect documentary camera
- The strategies behing shooting the real world as it is.
- And much more.
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
SHOW SUPPORTERS & DISCOUNT CODES:
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Exclusive Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Latest posts by Ben Consoli (see all)
- The Making of Negative (with Joshua Caldwell) GCS132 - October 13, 2017
- IBC 2017 (with Erik Naso) GCS131 - October 4, 2017
- Creative Entrepreneurs (with Jeffrey Shaw) GCS130 - September 16, 2017