Today we discuss the brilliant cinematography of Mad Max: Fury Road with second unit Director of Photography David Burr. We get a behind the scenes look into all of the incredible challenges and innovations that made this film an instant classic.
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: Gladiators by Cymatix
Spotlight: David Burr, ACS
David Burr’s cinematography career spans over 30 years with countless feature and short films, but today he’s here to discuss his recent mega-blockbuster hit Mad Max: Fury Road. As the second unit Director of Photography, David was responsible for many of the stunning action sequences and we discuss all the behind the scenes secrets that made this film an instant classic. Then we discuss the role of a second unit Director of Photography. What are their responsibilities, how do they interact with the director and cast, and how you can break into this field.
- The switch from 3D to 2D
- Using Alexa cameras
- The challenges of shooting in the desert
- Using Canon 5DII and Olypus OM-D for crash cams
- How a leaf blower became their essential tool
- A crane dug into the sand was the key to one of the most iconic shots
- The strategy behind center framing and super fast cuts
- Shooting day for night
- The responsibilities of a second unit on a film production
- and more…
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Premium Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Shutterstock – Premium Footage and Images