IN THIS EPISODE:
Today we speak with Michael Goi, ASC, Director of Photography for American Horror Story. Michael shares his experiences as a former ASC president, shooting Glee, The New Normal, Amerian Horror Story and directing his film Megan is Missing. Plus Matt Allard from NewsShooter.com joins us to talk about the KiniMax 6K camera, the Panasonic 4K Varicam and more.
- KiniMax 6K cameras are announced
- Matt Allard shares his thoughts on the future of Panasonic and the new 4K Varicam
- Ben’s company BC Media Productions releases new commercials for Healthsouth Rehabilitation Hospital
- Rule Boston Camera events in March
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this week’s full track here: Stand Proud By Olive Musique
Spotlight: Michael Goi
Michael Goi, ASC is the Director of Photography for the hit TV series American Horror Story. We cover everything from his early days shooting documentaries in Chicago, his move to Los Angeles and his experiences shooting My Name Is Earl, Glee, The New Normal and more. Michael speaks candidly about his life, career, and passion for movies, dance and the arts as well as his experience as a former ASC president.
- Why Michael Goi is breaking all the rules
- Michaels in-camera philosophy
- How he lights to support what the characters are thinking and feeling
- Making the move to LA
- Shooting Glee
- Becoming ASC president
- His early years shooting documentaries
- Shooting a pilot vs. shooting a series
- Why is film easier than video
- And much more.
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Exclusive Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Latest posts by Ben Consoli (see all)
- The Science of Storytelling (with Derek Thompson) GCS114 - February 17, 2017
- Salary and Rate Negotiation for Creative Professionals (with Jim Hopkinson) GCS113 - February 10, 2017
- Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and the Cinematography of Comic Book Television (with Manuel Billeter) GCS112 - January 23, 2017