IN THIS EPISODE:
Today we speak with Kevin Parker, production sound mixer for feature films, television, documentaries and more. Kevin and I discuss his techniques for capturing sound on set and in the field, proper mic placement, how to hide the lav, and some tips that will help you capture better sound. Plus Dan Chung from NewsShooter.com joins us to discuss the latest industry news.
- Lynda.com offers a free 7-Day trial
- Ben announces upcoming guests
- Ben’s new FCPX tutorials available now at Premiumbeat.com/blog
- Sony’s new Catalyst Software
- Panasonic’s new firmware
- GoPro Hero 4K
- iFootage motion control head, slider. GoPro Gimbal and tripods.
- Canon 7DM2What’s new?
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: Crossroads Cool by Cymatix
Ben’s Lynda.com Podcast Playlist
From 13 years old, Kevin Parker has been fully immersed in sound. Since then Kevin has captured sound for countless feature films, television series, documentaries, commercials and more including the Showtime series “Brotherhood” and the new film “The Judge”. Kevin and I talk about his career, the differences between mixing sound for news vs feature films and his thoughts on the film industry as a whole. We also discuss his gear package, techniques for capturing the best sound, proper placement of a lavaliere microphone, and simple tips that will help you capture better sound.
- Kevin’s remarkable shift from news to motion picture
- What is a production audio engineer?
- What is the creative side to capturing audio
- Proper lav placement
- Kevin’s tips and tricks for optimum sound in not-so-optimum locations
- Building the relationship with the DOP and director
- How to make the best use of your location scout
- Kevin’s favorite gear and why he uses it.
- Sanken RM-10
- Schoeps Shotgun Microphone
- Sanken CUB microphone
- and more…
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- The Way Way Back Film
- Kevin’s IMDB
- Ben’s new FCPX tutorial for PremiumBeat.com
- Official website for BC Media Productions.com
Lynda.com – You Can Learn It!
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Exclusive Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Latest posts by Ben Consoli (see all)
- Creative Entrepreneurs (with Jeffrey Shaw) GCS130 - September 16, 2017
- Game Of Thrones Cinematography (with Robert McLachlan) GCS129 - August 24, 2017
- The Cinematography of Atlanta, Glow, and Brigsby Bear (with Christian Sprenger) GCS128 - August 18, 2017