Candy Cinematography (with Simon Dennis BSC)
Simon and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss why he chose the Sony Venice and custom tuned lenses to create CANDY and how the look was inspired by William Eggleston and Napoleon Dynamite. We also dive deep into the 1:66 aspect ratio, the challenges of working with child actors, how to make multi-camera look like single camera, and much more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- How color and saturation represents plot (03:35)
- Being influenced by Nepolioan Dynamite (09:15)
- Recreating the 1980s through cinematoraphy (13:18)
- Shooting with limited daylight hours (17:14)
- Why the 1.66 aspect ratio is important (20:10)
- Simion’s approach to shooting wideshots (24:09)
- Creating a “vinyl” look with detuned lenses (30:31)
- Approach to lighting CANDY (36:25)
- Working with actor Justin Timberlake (40:32)
- Deconstructing the court room scenes (50:02)
- And more!