Cinematography of Ryan Murphy’s Hollywood (with Simon Dennis BSC)
Go behind the scenes of Netflix’s hit series HOLLYWOOD with cinematographer Simon Dennis BSC.
Simon and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss the visual approach to the series, working with director Ryan Murphy, shooting on the Sony Venice, his approach to lighting iconic scenes, and more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Working with director Ryan Murphy (02:24)
- Paying homage to 1940’s Hollywood (16:32)
- Simon’s visual approach to the series (21:14)
- Recreating 1940s film styles with “Meg” (32:36)
- Shooting on the Sony Venice (36:10)
- Using tons of haze in scenes (39:29)
- Using colored lights for the theater and bar scenes (41:48)
- Why Simon under-exposed while filming (45:03)
- How lens focus affects production design (47:14)
- Camera movement of HOLLYWOOD (51:35)
- Filming the table read scene (54:48)
- Classic movies that influenced the visual approach (58:31)
- And more!
- HOLLYWOOD IMDb
- Simon Dennis’ website
- Simon Dennis’ Twitter
- Simon Dennis’ Instagram
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives
PostLab – Stress-free collaboration for Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro