Fargo Season 4 Cinematography (with Dana Gonzales ASC)
Fargo Season 4 Cinematographer and Director Dana Gonzales ASC masterfully re-creates 1950s Kansas City with an alluring Kodachrome revival. Learn how Dana blends vintage Astro Berlin and modern Zeiss Supreme lenses with a fine-tuned recipe of stylized filters to create the shows look.
Dana and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss season 4 visual references, recreating Kodachrome, Autochrome and Tri-X film stocks, Dana’s experience directing Chris Rock and an A-list cast, creating the vintage mugshot look, filming black and white , and more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Unique challenges of an anthology series (01:34)
- Approach to Fargo season 4 (06:10)
- Working with an A-list cast (09:14)
- The amount of prep involved in creating season 4’s visual style (15:28)
- Recreating the Kodachrome look (24:42)
- Approach to lighting (40:54)
- Creating the mugshots look in season 4 (43:55)
- Shooting on the Alexa mini LF (46:47)
- Filming an episode in black and white (51:30)
- Transitioning from cinematographer to director (01:03:18)
- Directing Chris Rock and other talent (01:12:42)
- Directing internal power struggles with characters (01:19:21)
- Advice for aspiring cinematographers (01:24:43)
- And more!
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives
PostLab – Collaborative Editing for Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro