Gun Safety on Film Sets (with Bryan W. Carpenter)
The tragic death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has ignited a worldwide conversation about gun safety on film sets. Armorer Bryan W Carpenter joins us to discuss current safety standards and what protocols were missed leading up to the tragic shooting.
Bryan and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss pros and cons of practical firearms vs visual effects, the difference between “blanks” and “dummy” ammunition, and what a “prop gun” actual is.
What you will learn in this episode:
- Role of an armorer (01:21)
- Types of prop guns (05:27)
- What happened on the set of RUST (08:39)
- Round types and safety distances (12:27)
- Steps to ensure safety on set (23:28)
- Certification for armorers (36:26)
- Replacing prop guns with vfx (39:26)
- America’s gun obsession (47:14)
- Preventing this tragedy from happening again (48:51)
- And more
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives