IN THIS EPISODE:
Today we invite Martin Ahlgren, Director of Photography for House of Cards Season 3. Martin and I discuss all the details behind lighting, lensing, and creating the absolutely stunning visuals of the hit Netflix show.
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: Golden Skies by Liam Aidan
Spotlight: Martin Ahlgren
Martin Ahlgren is the brilliant Director of Photography for House of Cards season 3. We discuss all the behind the scenes tricks that help him create one of the best looking television shows of our time. The lenses, the lighting and the beautifully crafted dance between blocking actors and moving cameras… These are just a few of the things that make us fall in love with each and every episode. Martin also discusses how his work in commercials and music videos offer him a playground of experimentation that often times result in techniques for his tv and feature film work. Fan boys and girls rejoice as we dive deep into all things House of Cards.
- How to prep each episode when there is no time to prep
- The pre-planned lighting scenarios that helped keep Martin on schedule
- Working with the actors and blocking scenes
- Shooting Red Dragon 6K but framing for 5K
- Shooting the oval office, over and over and over and over again.
- Controlling the camera via foolcontrol
- Martin’s extensive portfolio of music videos and commercials
- and more…
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Martin’s official website MartinAhlgren.com
- Matt Russell’s official website GainStructure.com
- Official Website for BC Media Productions
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Exclusive Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Latest posts by Ben Consoli (see all)
- The Cinematography of Halloween (with Michael Simmonds) GCS151 - October 15, 2018
- Production Design for Game Shows (with James Pearse Connelly) GCS150 - August 24, 2018
- Mobile Filmmaking (with Neill Barham and Chris Demiris) GCS149 - July 30, 2018