Impeachment: American Crime Story (with Simon Dennis BSC)
Cinematographer Simon Dennis BSC of IMPEACHMENT: American Crime Story masterfully depicted one of the most iconic moments in American history while capturing portrayals of Monica Lewinsky, Linda Tripp, and of course Bill & Hillary Clinton.
Simon and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss the show’s desaturated look, claustrophobic feeling, why he chose the Sony Venice, working with split diopters, and inventing a new visual genre… “Gloom Glam”.
What you will learn in this episode:
- Balance of filming non-fictional projects (00:59)
- “Glamorous gloom” visual approach (10:08)
- Simon’s stylistic lighting approach (12:58)
- Warm visual approach to the White House (17:53)
- Dreary look of the Pentagon (20:40)
- Not having characters motivate cinematography (27:46)
- Using a split diopter (30:37)
- Why Simon chose the Sony Venice (36:15)
- Feeling of claustrophobia (42:02)
- Why the jury trial scene was so challenging (46:37)
- Making the mundane exciting through cinematography (49:24)
- Monica Lewinsky’s involvement with the show (53:05)
- And more!
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY IMDb
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY on FX Networks
- Simon Dennis IMDb
- Simon Dennis on Instagram
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives