Knives Out Cinematography (with Steve Yedlin)
Go behind the scenes of Knives Out and Star Wars The Last Jedi with cinematographer Steve Yedlin.
Steve and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss what was involved in finding the perfect mansion for Knives Out, collaborating with director Rian Johnson, using scientific formulas and rigs to light the small interiors, plus scene breakdowns for Knives Out and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and much more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Writer/director Rian Johnson’s approach to KNIVES OUT (03:20)
- Collaborating with Rian Johnson
- Finding the perfect mansion for KNIVES OUT (16:18)
- Steve’s tips on location scouting for films (23:37)
- Using advanced calculations and science to match the exact outdoor light (27:07)
- The rig they built to mount lights in tight spaces (33:43)
- Disguising lights as windows with forced perspective (38:56)
- What goes into creating the look of a film (45:20)
- Motivating camera movement (01:01:19)
- How Steve filmed and composited dusk for night shots (01:04:20)
- Filming and lighting THE LAST JEDI Praetorian Guards lightsaber battle (01:11:59)
- And more!
- Knives Out IMDb
- Knives Out trailer
- Disguising lights as windows with forced perspective
- Filming and compositing dusk for night
- Steve Yedlin’s Twitter
- Steve Yedlin’s IMDb
- Steve Yedlin’s Website
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
PostLab – Stress-free collaboration for Final Cut Pro X.