Outer Range Cinematography (with Drew Daniels)
OUTER RANGE keeps you on the edge of your seat with its dramatic, sci-fi focused storytelling and incredible visuals. Cinematographer Drew Daniels shares how he “steals” the great DP Roger Deakins’ lighting techniques as we deconstruct the show’s visual approach.
Drew and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss collaborating with other cinematographers on a series, having a sense of humor with cinematography, the effects of camera movement on a scene, relying on practical lighting, and so much more.
What you will learn in this episode:
- How OUTER RANGE is unconventionally science fiction (01:32)
- Collaborating with the other cinematographers (04:19)
- How to leave your cinematography mark (06:04)
- Why filming less gives cinematographers more control (09:48)
- Having a sense of humor with cinematography (15:20)
- Regretting the chosen aspect ratio (20:21)
- “Stealing” from Roger Deakins’ lighting approach (24:32)
- Using practical lighting in cinematography (29:18)
- OUTER RANGE visual references (31:33)
- How camera movement perfected the rodeo scenes (34:51)
- And more!