Production Design for Star Wars, Avatar, and more (with Rick Carter)
Legendary production design Rick Carter takes us behind the scenes of his most iconic films including Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Avatar, Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, and more.
Rick and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss Rick’s incredible portfolio of films, working with Steven Spielberg and JJ Abrams, the philosophy of production design, and much more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Rick’s early years in cinema (03:07)
- Being inspired by real-world experiences
- Working with Steven Spielberg
- Developing the world of STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (09:46)
- How metaphors are a key for filmmaking and production design
- Creating the world of Pandora for AVATAR (16:53)
- Collaborating with JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson on Disney’s STAR WARS trilogy (31:46)
- Designing Emperor Palpatine’s lair on Exegol for STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (41:19)
- The pre-production process for production design (47:49)
- Collaborating with other film departments (53:14)
- Why it’s important to NOT know what you’re doing (01:00:21)
- Rick personal filmmaking journals (01:13:25)
- And more!
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
PostLab – Stress-free collaboration for Final Cut Pro X.