Ridley Scott’s Raised by Wolves Cinematography (with Erik Messerschmidt ASC)
Go behind the scenes of Ridley Scott’s new HBO series, Raised by Wolves, with cinematographer Erik Messerschmidt ASC.
Erik and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss creating the unique look of the series, the challenging locations for scenes, differences between American and South African film crews, lighting challenges with multiple cameras, and much more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Getting involved with Raised by Wolves (02:20)
- American crew vs South African crew (04:34)
- About Raised by Wolves (10:11)
- Challenging locations of the series (12:31)
- Giving a feeling of vulnerability (18:20)
- Collaborating with other cinematographers (23:33)
- Allowing the camera to participate in the scene (29:04)
- Approach to lighting (32:30)
- Shooting day for night (37:30)
- Visual approach to flashbacks (48:36)
- Erik’s favorite scene to film (53:14)
- Filming in-camera effects (55:28)
- What’s next for Erik (59:09)
- And more!
- Cinematography of Mindhunter (with Erik Messerschmidt ASC) GCS219
- Raised by Wolves trailer
- Raised by Wolves IMDb
- Erik Messerschmidt’s Instagram
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives