Soul Cinematography (with Matt Aspbury)
A cinematographer’s role in an animated film is a unique challenge. In Pixar’s SOUL, Cinematographer Matt Aspbury blended a photo-realistic New York City with an abstract look of the after-life and “You Seminar.” Hear the untold story of directing photography for animation.
What you will learn in this episode:
- What cinematography means in animation (01:29)
- Recreating a handheld camera look (06:27)
- Recreating New York City in animation (07:54)
- Animation cinematography process at Pixar (09:36)
- Biggest challenge in Soul (12:56)
- Collaborative process creating the visuals (14:31)
- Finding the perfect balance of realism in animation (18:03)
- Challenges of filming humans and souls (21:24)
- Character development through cinematography (24:38)
- Importance of diverse representation in animation (26:44)
- And more!
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives