The Haunting of Bly Manor Cinematography (with James Kniest)
THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR expands on the cinematic universe of HILL HOUSE with gorgeous dark cinematography and blooming highlights. Cinematographer James Kniest shares this approach and filming an episode entirely in black and white.
James and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss lighting a scene with only candlelight, how netting on lenses blooms highlights, how to gradually adjust aperture, the show’s subtle camera movement, and more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Filming an entire episode in black and white (03:13)
- Lighting a scene with only candlelight (07:13)
- Using rear netting to bloom highlights (12:16)
- Gradually adjust aperture using a Cinefade (17:57)
- Shift towards in-camera filtration and looks (22:31)
- Approach to subtle camera movement (29:04)
- Seamlessly merging the bly manor’s upstairs and downstairs sets (34:57)
- Challenges of filming a lake with actors (41:29)
- James’ favorite scenes to shoot (45:39)
- And more!
- James Kniest IMDb
- James Kniest on Instagram
- THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR on Netflix
- THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR trailer
- THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR IMDb
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives