Tick, Tick… Boom! Cinematography (with Alice Brooks ASC)
TICK, TICK… BOOM! follows Jonathan Larson on his path to being the successful musical composer we know of him today. Cinematographer Alice Brooks ASC breaks down her cinematic approach and biggest challenges of the film.
Alice and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss the film’s biggest scenes, challenges of musicals, having to use filtration in place of haze, and much more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Transitioning from IN THE HEIGHTS to TICK, TICK… BOOM! (01:05)
- Recreating Jonathan Larson’s apartment (05:06)
- Referencing source material from the real-life protagonist (08:46)
- Claustrophobia through cinematography (14:06)
- Creating juxtaposition through lighting and color theory (17:38)
- Panavision cameras and anamorphic lenses (23:56)
- Using filtration instead of haze (27:19)
- Creating distinct looks for the workshop scenes (33:41)
- Achieving seamless transitions for scenes (40:48)
- Challenges of the pool scene (44:00)
- Advice for aspiring cinematographers (47:13)
- And more!
- TICK, TICK… BOOM! IMDb
- TICK, TICK… BOOM! on Netflix
- TICK, TICK… BOOM! trailer
- Alice Brooks ASC’s IMDb
- Alice Brooks ASC’s Instagram
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
Filmmakers Academy – Master Your Craft
Get 10% off the all access membership using code GOCREATIVE10