IN THIS EPISODE:
Today we explore the daring and immersive cinematography of “Everest” with Director of Photography Salvatore Totino. We discuss the challenges of shooting at 10,000 feet in 22 below zero temperatures, and how his previous films prepared him for this epic adventure.
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: The Way We Are by Big Score Audio
Spotlight: Salvatore Totino
Salvatore Totino has directed the photography of many iconic films like Any Given Sunday, Cinderella Man, and Frost/Nixon but it’s his latest film Everest that has challenged him the most. Shooting at altitudes of over 10,000 feet and in temperatures surpassing 22 below zero, “Everest” is truly one of the most daring and immersive films of our time. Salvatore shares his techniques for shooting in these environments on the Arri Alexa XT, recreating the summit of Everest, filmmaking in the freezing cold, and much more.
- How Salvatore technically, physically, and mentally prepared for “Everest”
- The challenges of shooting at 22 below zero.
- Shooting on Arri Alexa XT and how it held up in extreme conditions
- Using Flowbank lights and Soft Suns
- Why Drake’s James Turrell inspired music video for “Hotline Bling” is Salvatore’s favorite new video
- What can we expect from Salvatore’s forthcoming film “Concussion” starring Will Smith. How is it inspired by “The Insider”
- 2D vs 3D, which does Salvatore prefer and why?
- How shooting music videos can often be more creative and freeing than films and commercials
- How Salvatores first film “any given sunday” prepared him for Everest
working with director Oliver Stone
- and more…
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Salvatore Totino’s official website
- Behind the scenes video on the making of Everest
- Ben Consoli’s Instagram
- Official Website for BC Media Productions
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Premium Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Shutterstock – Premium Footage and Images
Latest posts by Ben Consoli (see all)
- Costume Design Demystified (with Nadine Haders) GCS126 - July 15, 2017
- The Super Secret Interview (with Evan Bourcier) GCS125 - June 29, 2017
- The News From Cine Gear 2017 (with Erik Naso) GCS124 - June 16, 2017