The Cinematography of Everest (with Salvatore Totino, Director of Photography)
Today we explore the daring and immersive cinematography of “Everest” with Director of Photography Salvatore Totino. We discuss the challenges of shooting at 10,000 feet in 22 below zero temperatures, and how his previous films prepared him for this epic adventure.
You Will Learn:
- How Salvatore technically, physically, and mentally prepared for “Everest”
- The challenges of shooting at 22 below zero.
- Shooting on Arri Alexa XT and how it held up in extreme conditions
- Using Flowbank lights and Soft Suns
- Why Drake’s James Turrell inspired music video for “Hotline Bling” is Salvatore’s favorite new video
- What can we expect from Salvatore’s forthcoming film “Concussion” starring Will Smith. How is it inspired by “The Insider”
- 2D vs 3D, which does Salvatore prefer and why?
- How shooting music videos can often be more creative and freeing than films and commercials
- How Salvatores first film “any given sunday” prepared him for Everest
working with director Oliver Stone
- and more…
- Salvatore Totino’s official website
- Behind the scenes video on the making of Everest
- Ben Consoli’s Instagram
- Official Website for BC Media Productions
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Premium Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Shutterstock – Premium Footage and Images
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: The Way We Are by Big Score Audio