Better Call Saul Season 5 Cinematography (with Marshall Adams ASC)
Go behind the scenes of Better Call Saul season 5 with series director of photography Marshall Adams ASC.
Marshall and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss what to expect from Better Call Saul season 5, the shows crazy filming schedule, utilizing a b-cam for alternative angles, what makes a great director, and more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Behind the scenes of Better Call Saul season 5 (01:48)
- Benefits of being the only DP on a series (07:29)
- The crazy filming schedule on Better Call Saul (12:42)
- Why Marshall did not work on 13 Reasons Why (14:36)
- Breaking Bad Easter eggs (17:36)
- Why Marshall does not pre-vis shots (22:19)
- Coverage and utilizing a b-camera angle (23:23)
- Working with multiple directors (29:33)
- What makes a great director (33:52)
- Switching from RED to Arri cameras (35:22)
- The lighting approach to Better Call Saul (42:10)
- Marshall’s essential lighting equipment
- Do cinematographers need gaffing experience? (52:59)
- Better Call Saul color theory for characters (54:53)
- Are the Gene flash-forward scenes really shot black and white? (58:05)
- Why Marshall is so heavily involved in color grading (01:02:32)
- And more!
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
PostLab – Stress-free collaboration for Final Cut Pro X.