Severance Cinematography (with Jessica Lee Gagné)
SEVERANCE is a mind-bending and visually stunning thriller and one of this year’s best series. Cinematographer Jessica Lee Gagné shares why she was hesitant to take on the show, and her incredible work throughout the season.
Jessica and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss her visual approach to the “innie” and “outie” worlds, making a bland stark-white office space visually interesting, psychological tricks with cinematography, working with Ben Stiller and Christopher Walken, and more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Why Jessica did not want to film SEVERANCE (01:43)
- Approach to filming Lumon (04:15)
- Visual approach to the outside world (09:50)
- Pairing the Sony Venice with vintage lenses (15:23)
- Challenges of soft lighting in Lumon (22:15)
- Developing lighting plans with the gaffer (31:43)
- Achieving the severed elevator transition shot (35:13)
- Filming the maze of hallways (37:44)
- Dividing characters in the framing (40:14)
- Working with Ben Stiller and Christopher Walken (42:39)
- Importance of self-reflection at work (45:39)
- And more!
- SEVERANCE IMDb
- SEVERANCE on Apple TV+
- SEVERANCE trailer
- Jessica Lee Gagné’s Instagram
- Jessica Lee Gagné’s IMDb