The Cinematography of The Witch (with Jarin Blaschke)
Today we invite cinematographer Jarin Blaschke on the show to talk about his brilliantly haunting film The Witch. Recently named one of the 10 Cinematographers To Watch by Variety, Jarin shares his techniques, camera choices, and more.
You Will Learn:
- Why gore is boring
- When violence is grounded, it has more impact
- Creating a claustrophobic feel
- Why The Witch was shot almost entirely on 1 lens
- The benefits of shooting 1:66 and 4:3 aspect ratio
- The religious symbolism in The Witch
- The Sundance experience
- Lighting night scenes
- Motivated cuts
- and much more!
- Jarin Blaschke official website
- The Witch official website
- Ben Consoli’s BTS Instagram profile
- Official Website for BC Media Productions
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Premium Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Shutterstock – Premium Footage and Images
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: You Can Achieve by Dan Phillipson