IN THIS EPISODE:
Today we welcome Director of Photography Adam Starr. I call him the DIY DOP because his unconventional and home made camera and lighting tricks have been used on countless commercials, corporate videos and feature films. Adam teaches us his unusual techniques for white balance and in-camera effects plus some inexpensive lighting tricks that will amaze you.
Spotlight – Adam Starr
Adam Starr is truly the DIY DOP. With nearly 20 years in the business, Adam is constantly blurring the lines between old and new cinematography techniques with his home-made solutions that anyone can create. Today’s show is a refreshing break from the constant discussion about gear and camera releases. Adam Starr’s approach is pure and simple, be more creative by using what you already own.
- Why balancing to white is so boring
- How to make the most out of what you already have.
- Why old school in-camera effects are sometimes the best option.
- Home Depot may be the best place to buy your next set of production lighting
- LED’s vs Florescent vs Incandescent
- How to incorporate solar power onto your next shoot.
- and more…
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: December Joy by Lost Harmonies
Ben’s Lynda.com Podcast Playlist
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Official website for BC Media Productions.com
Lynda.com – You Can Learn It!
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Exclusive Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Latest posts by Ben Consoli (see all)
- The Making of Negative (with Joshua Caldwell) GCS132 - October 13, 2017
- IBC 2017 (with Erik Naso) GCS131 - October 4, 2017
- Creative Entrepreneurs (with Jeffrey Shaw) GCS130 - September 16, 2017