Amazon’s Them Cinematography (with Checco Varese ASC)
Horror cinematographer mastermind Checco Varese ASC teaches us how he filmed trauma and fear for Amazon Studios’ THEM. Checco explains his approach to the series’ gorgeous cinematography and his philosophy as a filmmaker.
Checco and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss ways to invoke anxiety and terror through cinematography, tips for new cinematographers, using virtual filmmaking to film a creature attack on a 1950s bus, the Jordan Peele US controversy and more!
What you will learn in this episode:
- Invoking fear and terror through THEM’s visual approach (03:30)
- Horror filmmaking techniques (12:15)
- Rules to live by as a cinematographer (23:16)
- Comparing THEM to Jordan Peele’s US (28:00)
- Creature attack on a 1950s bus using virtual filmmaking (35:48)
- And more!
- IT Chapter 2 Cinematography (with Checco Varese ASC)
- WATCHMEN Cinematography (with Xavier Grobet ASC)
- THEM Trailer
- THEM on Amazon Prime Video
- THEM IMDb
- Checco Varese ASC’s website
- Checco Varese’s Instagram
The Go Creative Show is supported by:
MZed – Education for Creatives