Today we invite Ludovic Littee, director of photography for Orange is the New Black. We discuss this massive Netflix hit and Ludovic’s journey from First AC to camera operator to Director of Photography. What does a first AC really do, and why are they considered the unsung hero’s of production. We discuss it all.
The PremiumBeat.com Song of the Week
- Listen to this weeks full track: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia by Haim Mazar
Spotlight: Ludovic Littee
With over a decade in the film industry, Ludovic Littee has built an impressive career in feature film and television working with Steve McQueen, David Fincher and as Director of Photography for the current season of Orange is the New Black. We discuss all the lighting and shooting techniques that support the shows realistic approach, making the transition from Arri Alexa to the Panasonic Varicam 35, the future of 4K broadcast and more. We also dive deep into the responsibilities of the First Assistant Camera. What do they really do on set and why are they considered to be the unsung hero of any production.
- Lighting techniques that promote realism and allow the actors to play
- Why Barger Lights are being used on Orange is the new Black
- Lighting for female characters with no makeup
- Making the move from Alexa to Varicam 35. What are the pro’s and con’s
- Making the move from Cooke lenses to Panavision Primo lenses
- Moving the show from 2K to 4K and the future of 4K broadcast
- The responsibilities of a First Assistant Camera
- Why the future of a DIT could be bleak
- Shooting Steve McQueens film “Shame”
- and more…
SOME LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Ludovic’s production company 235 Productions
- Ludovic Littee on IMDB
- Official Website for BC Media Productions
Kessler – Innovative Tools for Filmmaking
Rule Boston Camera – Buy. Rent. Create.
PremiumBeat – Premium Royalty-Free Music and Sound
NewsShooter – Making the real world look as good as cinema
Shutterstock – Premium Footage and Images